Sunday, May 25, 2008

don't panic

I just read a story today about the rise of the 'new survivalists'.. folks who are preparing for the end of oil, worldwide economy crashes, and pretty much general mayhem as a result. These preparations involve homesteading, growing their own food, learning herbal-based remedies, and in some cases, stockpiling a weapons arsenal in anticipation of of defense against those that didn't prepare ahead.

All good things, in many ways... measures and lifestyles that perhaps we should have been following all along. My husband mused how interesting it was that we started down this path years ago, but abandoned it for whatever reason. As a matter of course, we are trying to head back in that direction.. getting serious about the garden again, cutting back on unnecessary expenses, learning a few self-sufficient skills.

As far as accumulating guns... well, we've had a few divergent views on this point. I understand the obligation to protect one's family, and it's been among my greater fears that my pacifist principles might be tested someday. But, I wonder, in addition to developing the skills to survive without the infrastructure, I would prioritize building community. In my mind, collaboration, community, sharing of resources and skills, strength in numbers.. all of these give me greater peace of mind and a sense of security than the idea of warding off inturders with a gun in my hand.

Yes, I believe big changes are coming for us. And yes, people are going to freak out. But what are we really facing? Huge changes in our lifestyle to be sure, but the key is to return to the way humans have always lived until very recently. And reliance on the tribe was part of that. As long as we can keep fear out of our responses, I believe we can make sane and wise choices that will lessen the negative impact and ensure that we can pull through this together.

No comments: