Friday, May 23, 2008

back to it

Well, I thought I'd be merging this blog into my other catch-all one, but finding myself out on Route 30 again tonight, holding a "War is Not the Answer" sign, I was musing that the subject of peace is big enough to warrant a blog all of its own.

There were only four of us there tonight.. well, four adults, and two young'us; one of whom was keeping count of all the shows of support we received in the form of beeps, waves, and 'thumbs up's. (He counted 82 within the 45 minutes.. I think it was closer to 95). Not bad. I had wanted to ask the others if they were aware of any rise in affirmations over the course of the five years these vigils have been held, as I know public opinion toward this war has shifted toward opposition in recent years. But I forgot.

Just as before, it felt good to be there. Odd, but good. The rest of my family had taken off a couple hours prior for the shore, leaving me with a whole evening to myself, and so, I decided at the last moment to stand vigil with Friends, on this Memorial Day weekend. I'm glad I did. I feel heartened by the signs of many people out there signaling their desire for a better way.

No comments: